Editor's note: This article has been updated to include a link to the Final Report of the Teacher Vacancy Task Force, released Feb. 24, 2023.
The Teacher Vacancy Task Force (TVTF), established in March 2022 to examine teacher retention and recruitment challenges, has released a summary detailing recommendations focused on support for teachers.
The TVTF, comprised of teachers and school leaders from public schools across the state, identified eight themes in three categories along with suggestions for regulatory or other policy changes for the TEA and legislature. The categories and themes are:
- Increase overall compensation and support strategic compensation strategies.
- Enhance teachers’ total compensation package.
- Provide incentives and support for hard to staff areas.
Training and Support
- Improve the pipeline and pre-service preparation of novice teachers.
- Expand training and support for teacher mentorship and teacher leadership opportunities.
- Provide access to and support for high-quality instructional materials.
- Demonstrate respect and value for teacher time.
- Ensure discipline supports.
For full details, including the TVTF recommendations for addressing each theme, read the Final Report of the Teacher Vacancy Task Force.
Sarah James joined HR Services in 2019. Prior to that, she worked at a Central Texas school district for 11 years. She is responsible for managing web content, HR Services articles, HRX newsletter, social media accounts, and marketing efforts.
James has a bachelor’s degree in communications from Concordia University Texas in Austin.
Email Sarah if you have a story idea for the HRX.
Subscribe to HRX
Stay up to date with all the latest HR news and trends by joining the HRX mailing list!