Once the legislative session is done, it’s time to take stock of what laws were passed, what changed, and how all of it affects your schools. The easiest way to do it? Attend the Post-Legislative Conference!
This conference is designed to meet your Update to the Texas Education Code training requirements for experienced board members, including:
- What laws were passed by the Texas Legislature affecting education
- What changes were made to the Texas Education Code
- New legal developments affecting school governance
A Conference So Important, We Host It Twice
You need to find out what did and didn’t happen at the Capitol after each legislative session. It's so important, we put this conference on twice. We host the conferences right after each legislative session (every odd-numbered year), in conjunction with our Summer Leadership Institute (SLI) conferences in both San Antonio and Fort Worth.
During the event, TASB Governmental Relations staff will walk you through new laws, focusing on what is required of school districts and highlight issues that may arise during the interim, including:
- School finance, taxation, and fiscal accountability
- School choice and charters
- Elections — board and bond
- District governance and operations
- Salary and benefits changes and implementation
- Teacher Retirement System, health care, and other personnel issues
- Instruction, textbooks, and accountability
- Student services and special education
When you attend the Post-Legislative Conference, you’ll also get a copy of the in-demand publication, TASB Legislative Summary for School Officials, which summarizes major provisions of each piece of legislation affecting public schools.