Skip To Content

First Responder Liaison Notice Required for Political Subdivisions

Exterior of a school

Political subdivisions such as school districts, colleges and community colleges, cities, or counties are required to post a first responder liaison notice.

The poster informs individuals on their right to contact a specially trained Ombudsman with the Office of Injured Employee Counsel (OIEC) if injured while working or volunteering at the organization. This requirement applies to all employers employing first responders or supervising volunteer first responders.

The OIEC notice must be posted in the personnel office and workplace where each affected individual will regularly see it in English, Spanish, and any other language that is common to these people.

Frequently Asked Questions

What Is the Purpose of This Notice?

The notice advises first responders on how to contact an OIEC ombudsman who serves as the liaison for first responders and is specially trained to advise them on their workers’ compensation rights.

Who Is Considered a First Responder?

First responders include the following employees:

  • Commissioned peace or campus officer and commissioned security personnel
  • Licensed emergency care or medical technician
  • Licensed paramedic
  • Emergency medical services volunteer
  • Firefighter

Where Should the Notice Be Posted?

The notice must be in the personnel office and in areas where affected employees would see it on a regular basis. This may include the police department or dispatch office, security office, and athletic facilities.

Can I Post the Notice on Our Intranet, Put It in the Employee Handbook, or Distribute It via Email?

While relaying the information to your employees using these methods may be helpful, it does not relieve you of the requirement to post the notice in the workplace. Some employees may not have regular or any access to the intranet or email, so OIEC requires employers to physically post the notice to make sure employees have access to view the posting.

How Can I Get a Copy of the Notice?

Employers can download and print the notice free of charge. The notice can be printed on an 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper and is available in English and Spanish:

Where Can I Get More Information?

Additional information is available on the Division of Workers’ Compensation Injured Employee Resources webpage.

Was this article helpful?
April Mabry
April Mabry
TASB HR Services Assistant Director

April Mabry oversees HR Services training services, member library products, and the HRX newsletter. She has provided HR training and guidance to Texas public schools  since 1991. Mabry was a classroom teacher for 11 years in Texas and Michigan.

Mabry has a bachelor’s degree in education from the University of Michigan and certification as a professional in human resources (PHR) and is a SHRM-CP.

HR Services

TASB HR Services supports HR leadership in Texas schools through membership offerings in specialized training, consulting, and other services.
HRX Logo

Subscribe to HRX

Stay up to date with all the latest HR news and trends by joining the HRX mailing list!