Learn how recently passed legislation impacts your school district.
TASB Governmental Relations and Legal Services host a Post-Legislative Conference in conjunction with the TASB Summer Leadership Institute (SLI) in San Antonio and Fort Worth during odd-numbered years following the Texas Legislative Session.
During this event, TASB staff reviews the important bills passed during the legislative session, focusing on what is required of school districts. Attendees learn about major legislation affecting public education, including:
- District governance and operations
- Elections — board and bond
- Instruction, textbooks, and accountability
- Salary and benefits changes and implementation
- School choice and charters
- School finance, taxation, and fiscal accountability
- Student services and special education
- Teacher Retirement System, health care, and other personnel issues
Continuing Education Credit
The Post-Legislative Conference typically offers trustees up to three hours of Topic 1 – Regulatory level training or up to three hours of Topic 3 – Additional Continuing Education credit depending on the experience level of the trustee. This conference qualifies as the required update to the Texas Education Code following a legislative session.