On November 14, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
Some of the notable changes include:
- Section 1 asks for “other last names used” as opposed to “other names used”
- The addition of prompts to make sure information is correctly entered
- The capability to enter multiple translators and preparers
- A specified area for including more information rather than having to add it in the margins
- A supplemental page for the translator/preparer
Other enhancements to the electronic form were made, including drop-down lists and a calendar for filling in dates, easier access to the full instructions, and the ability to clear the form and start from the beginning. Overall, the form is much easier to complete on a computer.
Districts must begin using the new version of the form by January 22, 2017. Until then, they can continue to use the March 8, 2013 version or use the new version. Updated forms are available on the USCIS website.