Local Wellness Policy Resources
Get help to build your local wellness policy and wellness plan with TASB Policy Service's Wellness Policy worksheet and Wellness Plan template.
Each district that participates in the National School Lunch Program and/or the School Breakfast Program, must adopt a wellness policy under the federal Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) rules.
Texas state law distinguishes between:
- The school board’s role to govern through adoption of policies, and
- The superintendent’s role to implement board-adopted policies and manage day-to-day operations.
Both a Wellness Policy and a Wellness plan are necessary to meet the requirements of the applicable laws.
Use this FFA(LOCAL) Wellness Policy worksheet (docx) to help the district’s school health advisory council (SHAC) draft a wellness policy. Send the completed worksheet to your TASB policy consultant, who will create an FFA(LOCAL) policy for board adoption. The worksheet includes:
- Guidance for policy text to comply with federal law, and
- Options for addressing other components which must be included.
Use this Wellness Plan template (docx) for implementing the district’s wellness policy. Although the wellness plan is not subject to board adoption, it should be posted on the district’s website.
- Texas Department of Agriculture Local Wellness Policy Requirements