TASB Mission, Beliefs, and Values
Learn what TASB stands for and what you can expect when you work with us.
Here at TASB, our purpose is grounded in our mission, beliefs, and values. These principles direct our work and provide shared understanding among our members and staff about the “why” behind everything we do.
The Texas Association of School Boards promotes educational excellence for Texas schoolchildren through advocacy, visionary leadership, and high-quality services to school districts.
This simple but powerful statement highlights our absolute commitment to building a stronger future for Texas through public education. It was adopted by the TASB Board of Directors in its strategic planning process on Dec. 2, 1995, and by the Delegate Assembly on Sept. 28, 1996.
TASB Statement of Beliefs
Having one set of beliefs adopted by our members provides both consistency and clarity. Our governance process also allows for flexibility to consider proposed changes to these statements as appropriate.
Here is the TASB Statement of Beliefs, as adopted by the TASB Delegate Assembly on Sept. 25, 2021.
- We believe that every child has an absolute right to an excellent education that is tailored to a student’s specific needs.
- We believe that public schools are essential to providing an excellent education for every child and to the success of our society.
- We believe public schools must have adequate and equitable funding.
- We believe all schools should be safe and secure learning environments.
- We believe continual improvement of student academic achievement, educating the whole child, and removing barriers to success must be top priorities in Texas.
- We believe local control by school boards is the best way to govern public schools.
- We believe a board that practices good governance will ensure efficient, effective school district operations and strong student academic performance.
- We believe a strong partnership with all stakeholders (parents, community, educators, and students) creates optimal opportunities for each child.
- We believe in and are committed to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion; promoting dignity and mutual respect; striving to eradicate systemic racism; and providing opportunity for all.
TASB Value Statements
Our value statements describe TASB’s priorities and values. They also serve as a declaration of what TASB stands for and what everyone can expect when they work with us. We’re proud of who we are as a voluntary, nonprofit member association and a great place for our employees to have a meaningful career serving school boards and public education.
TASB adheres to professional and moral standards of conduct that place high value on honesty, integrity, fairness, and respect. Ethics are fundamental to TASB's being and are self-evident in the Association's operations and interactions.
TASB exists to serve its members and customers with prompt, comprehensive, relevant, and exceptional service through its services and referrals.
Trust is the belief and confidence of all stakeholders in TASB's integrity, reliability, commitment, honesty, and the value of the services provided. Trust is formed by emulating these traits, communicating with empathy, and developing an understanding of TASB's members and their needs.
TASB anticipates needs, seeks out opportunities for improvement, and works to identify and remove obstacles to success. TASB provides new and evolving services, builds consensus, and serves as a unifying voice and advocate for Texas public schools.
TASB seeks out and embraces alliances and partnerships that support and promote the Association's mission, desired outcomes, and strategies.
TASB promotes an organizational culture that encourages reasonable risk taking, creative thinking, and strategic problem solving, and fosters the development of new or enhanced services that meet member needs.
TASB delivers exceptional quality and value in the services it provides and is committed to continuous improvement.
TASB recognizes its fundamental responsibility to serve and meet the needs and expectations of its members within responsible, fiscal parameters.
TASB seeks to foster diversity in its organization, programs, and events. Diversity promotes creativity and enables TASB to better understand and respond to its customers' unique needs.
TASB values its employees and seeks to create a workplace where its employees feel welcomed, valued, compensated fairly, and appreciated for the work they do.