A report from Education Next revealed some enlightening statistics about public opinion of various education topics. We highlighted a few that may be most relevant to public school district personnel in Texas.
- 61 percent of Americans think teacher salaries should be raised
- 46 percent of the public are in favor of merit-based pay for teachers
- Only 15 percent of teachers are in favor of this practice
- 39 percent of respondents say they support the formation of charter schools, down 12 percent from a year ago
- 22 percent of parents want their child to pursue a two-year associate’s degree at a community college
- 44 percent of respondents think the effects would be positive if students spent more time on computers at school
The 2017 EdNext Poll on School Reform report provides additional details and if you are interested in reading more.