The eXceptional Governance (XG) Summit, a part of TASB’s XG Project, is a one-of-a-kind learning experience.
Take a deep dive into school district governance research with education experts who are passionate about keeping the board stabilized and focused on improving student outcomes.
The event highlights current research in the connection between school governance and student success. National thought leaders and Texas trustees and administrators will share promising practices and leading governance research.
Tap into leading-edge school governance
If you love to learn from data and research or are looking to take your trustee development to a new level, the XG Summit is for you.
The next XG Summit happens Nov. 9–10, 2020.
- Early Bird Registration: $195
- Regular Rate: $225
- Student Rate: $150
Miranda Beard, a former noted journalist in TV and radio, served as the 2016–17 National School Boards Association president and is past president of the Mississippi School Boards Association. With more than 20 years of experience in school board leadership, Beard is a leading voice and advocate for equity and excellence in education.
Paul Johnson, PhD, is an associate professor and coordinator of Educational Leadership at Bowling Green State University, where he teaches school finance, school board/superintendent relations, school/community relations, and public policy. Johnson formerly served as superintendent of Bucyrus City Schools (Ohio), and since retiring has served 12 years on the Bucyrus City Schools Board of Education.
Davis W. Campbell is the former executive director of the California School Boards Association. Prior to that, he served as California's deputy state superintendent of public instruction and was in charge of all education programs.
GREAT Scholarship Recipients
- Samuel Bonsu Jr., EdD, administrator, Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD
- Angela Herron, EdD, administrator, Grand Prairie ISD and
- Audrey Young, EdD, trustee, Apple Springs ISD
GREAT, part of the XG Project, promotes scholarly research on Texas public school governance and its effects on student achievement The three speakers will share their latest research findings.
The University of Texas at Austin representatives:
- Victor B. Sáenz, PhD, professor and chair of the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy
- Emmet E. Campos, PhD, director of Project Mentoring to Achieve Latino Educational Success (MALES) and the Texas Education Consortium for Male Students of Color
- Ricardo “Rico” Gonzalez, MEd, administrative program coordinator for the Texas Education Consortium for Male Students of Color
- Rodrigo Aguayo, MEd, program coordinator for Project MALES.
The XG Summit Schedule Preview
Here's a sneak peak at what to expect.
Monday, Nov. 9
- 8:45 a.m. – Summit Convenes: What is eXceptional Governance?
- 9-9:50 a.m. – Welcome with Miranda Beard
- 9:50-10:00 a.m. – Local Governance Example (District)
- 10-10:10 a.m. – Break (What is XG? Video intermission)
- 10:10-10:20 a.m. – Local Governance Example (District)
- 10:20 a.m. – GREAT Scholarship Recipients
- Audrey Young
- Angela Herron
- Samuel Bonsu
- 11:20-11:30 a.m. – Break
- 11:30 a.m. – Marc Puig, The Governance Factor: School Board Influence on Student Achievement in Texas Public Schools (South San Antonio Superintendent)
- Noon-1:30 p.m. – Break
- 1:30-1:40 p.m. – Local Governance Example (District)
- 1:40-2:30 p.m. – Davis Campbell, The Governance Core: School Boards, Superintendents, and Schools Working Together
- 2:30-2:45 p.m. – Live Wrap Up
- 2:45-3 p.m. – Break
- 3-3:50 p.m. Live networking and interview with Davis Campbell by Dr. Mary Jane Hetrick, trustee, Dripping Springs ISD
Tuesday, Nov. 10
- 9 a.m. – Welcome back (recap Monday and forecast Tuesday)
- 9:10-10 a.m. – Paul Johnson – School Board Governance: The Times are a Changin’
- 10-10:10 a.m. – Local Governance Examples (District)
- 10:10-10:30 a.m. – Live Activities – Applying what you have learned…
- 10:30-11:20 a.m. – Project MALES
- 11:20 a.m.-noon – Live Wrap-up – Summary and Your Next Steps
*Event details are subject to change.
Still hungry for more information?