Board Members and Officers
Texas school board members, who serve without compensation, take on a number of important responsibilities as they join the school board. The following are resources related to board service, including information on required board training; resignations, removal from office, and filling vacancies; board member ethics and liability; and board officer elections and duties.
Your local school board policy manual contains TASB's (LEGAL) reference policies and board-adopted (LOCAL) policies. Your district may also have relevant administrative regulations. For more information on board training, see your district policy manual at the following code:
||Training and Orientation|
- TASB Legal Services' Open Government Training Requirements answers frequently asked questions about complying with open government training requirements, as well as information about how to receive Texas Attorney General approved training offered by TASB.
- TASB Leadership Team Services offers guidance on board member training requirements.
- TASB Leadership Team Services offers an explanation of how to announce board training credit.
- TASB Leadership Team Services offers free podcasts on board member continuing education requirements and options as part of the Now Serving podcast series in the Online Learning Center.
- The Texas Education Agency (TEA) School Board Member Training Web Site provides an overview of board member continuing education and a list of registered training providers.
- The TEA School Board Member Training - Annual Required Hours of Continuing Education Website charts the continuing education hours that new and experienced board members are required to take each year.
- The Texas Attorney General's Open Government Training Information Web Site includes free Texas Open Meetings Act and Public Information Act training videos and related information for governmental officials.
For more information on board vacancies, see your district policy manual at the following code:
||Vacancies and Removal from Office|
For more information on board member ethics, see your district policy manual at the following codes:
||Board Member Authority and Immunities|
||Code of Ethics|
||Compensation and Expenses|
For more information on board officers, see your district policy manual at the following code:
||Duties and Requirements of Board Officers|
||Technology Resources and Electronic Communications|