Your community, staff, and students look to you to set an example. Use the Code of Ethics for School Board Members as your guide.
The Code is about more than just following the law. It’s about setting a higher standard—a standard that helps you ensure your decisions and actions reflect the interests of your district as a whole.
Ethics for school board members
As a member of the Board, I shall promote the best interests of the District as a whole and, to that end, shall adhere to the following ethical standards:
Equity in attitude
- I will be fair, just, and impartial in all my decisions and actions.
- I will accord others the respect I wish for myself.
- I will encourage expressions of different opinions and listen with an open mind to others' ideas.
Trustworthiness in stewardship
- I will be accountable to the public by representing District policies, programs, priorities, and progress accurately.
- I will be responsive to the community by seeking its involvement in District affairs and by communicating its priorities and concerns.
- I will work to ensure prudent and accountable use of District resources.
- I will make no personal promise or take private action that may compromise my performance of my responsibilities.
Honor in conduct
- I will tell the truth.
- I will share my views while working for consensus.
- I will respect the majority decision as the decision of the Board.
- I will base my decisions on fact rather than supposition, opinion, or public favor.
Integrity of character
- I will refuse to surrender judgment to any individual or group at the expense of the District as a whole.
- I will consistently uphold all applicable laws, rules, policies, and governance procedures.
- I will not disclose information that is confidential by law or that will needlessly harm the District if disclosed.
Commitment to service
- I will focus my attention on fulfilling the Board's responsibilities of goal setting, policymaking, and evaluation.
- I will diligently prepare for and attend Board meetings.
- I will avoid personal involvement in activities the Board has delegated to the Superintendent.
- I will seek continuing education that will enhance my ability to fulfill my duties effectively.
- I will be continuously guided by what is best for all students of the District