Ethics for School Board Members
As a member of the Board, I shall promote the best interests of the District as a whole and, to that end, shall adhere to the following ethical standards:
Equity in attitude
- I will be fair, just, and impartial in all my decisions and actions.
- I will accord others the respect I wish for myself.
- I will encourage expressions of different opinions and listen with an open mind to others' ideas.
Trustworthiness in stewardship
- I will be accountable to the public by representing District policies, programs, priorities and progress accurately.
- I will be responsive to the community by seeking its involvement in District affairs and by communicating its priorities and concerns.
- I will work to ensure prudent and accountable use of District resources.
- I will make no personal promise or take private action that may compromise my performance of my responsibilities.
Honor in conduct
- I will tell the truth.
- I will share my views while working for consensus.
- I will respect the majority decision as the decision of the Board.
- I will base my decisions on fact rather than supposition, opinion, or public favor.
Integrity of character
I will refuse to surrender judgment to any individual or group at the expense of the District as a whole.
I will consistently uphold all applicable laws, rules, policies, and governance procedures.
I will keep confidential information that is privileged by law or that will needlessly harm the District if disclosed.
Commitment to service
I will focus my attention on fulfilling the Board's responsibilities of goal setting, policymaking, and evaluation.
I will diligently prepare for and attend Board meetings.
I will seek continuing education that will enhance my ability to fulfill my duties effectively.
Questions? Call 800.580.8272, extension 6161 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.