TASB Governmental Relations hosts two Post-Legislative Conferences in conjunction with the TASB Summer Leadership Institute (SLI) conferences in San Antonio and Ft. Worth during odd-numbered years following the Texas Legislative Session.
In 2017, the conferences will take place Wednesday, June 14 in San Antonio and June 21 in Fort Worth.
TASB Governmental Relations staff will review the important legislation passed during the 84th Legislative Session, focusing on what is required of school districts.
After a brief welcome and summary remarks about the legislative session, attendees will hear briefings on all major legislation affecting public education, including:
- School finance, taxation, and fiscal accountability
- School choice and charters
- Elections—board and bond
- District governance and operations
- Salary and benefits changes and implementation
- Teacher Retirement System, health care, and other personnel issues
- Instruction, textbooks, and accountability
- Student services and special education
For housing and other information, please visit the Summer Leadership Institute site.
Continuing Education Credit
Post-Legislative Conferences offer trustees up to three hours of Tier 3 continuing education credit OR credit to fulfill the requirement that experienced board members must receive an update to the Texas Education Code following a legislative session.